Wednesday, April 23, 2014

What I Read Wednesday

This is one of those weeks where I'm buried under research papers to grade and I've been struggling to finish the same book for days, but I keep falling asleep while reading it. I hate those weeks.

The Walking Dead: Compendium Two
This is the second compendium of the Walking Dead graphic novels. This picks up where the current season picked up, too, so I really enjoyed seeing the ways the story arc was the same and the way it was different. Of course, it continues beyond where the TV show is now, so there may be possible spoilers, but honestly, there are vast differences between the novels and show. I really, really liked the direction in which it went, so I hope the TV show at least follows some of it!

In Paradise: A Novel
This was an interesting novel. A group of very diverse people embark upon a concentration camp retreat (this is a real thing, by the way, I googled it) and spend a week at Auschwitz touching upon matters of personal and national spirituality. They share why they're there, some more angrily than others, some not sure why, others still discovering. This is one of those slow-moving character driven novels. I really enjoyed it and found the subject matter itself fascinating. I have visited a concentration camp and found it a life-enhancing experience, but would I want to go on a concentration camp retreat? Probably not.

What are you reading?

4 comments:

Lyndsay said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Theresa Mahoney said...

Wow, that's strange. A concentration camp retreat? Like you, I think I would pass on that, but I would love to visit one of the camps some day.

Barb Ruess said...

I finished Hollow City. It took me longer to read this one than the first - slow start for me. But the second half redeemed the story. DO you think she finds the pictures and writes the story around them or finds the pictures after the story??

I also read Come Be My Light this week. A biography of Mother Teresa but told through her correspondence and writings. She was an amazing woman.

I'm just digging into Donna Tartt's The Secret History.

Anonymous said...

pretty nice blog, following :)